Of course, its a given, potatoes rule but I’m honestly not hating cauliflower as a substitute for most of my favorite starch foods. Between using it as rice and now mashed, I feel pretty satisfied. Ill be using mashed cauliflower to explain the gravy recipe I have put together for you. Not only does cauliflower cook fast, it is very beneficial to your body. I don’t know about you, but knowing my food is working towards making me feel better, makes it even more delicious! Cauliflower still adds up with carbohydrates, it is best to weigh it and be mindful, in order to not get kicked out of Ketosis.
This gravy taste great over veggies and your protein of choice during the holiday. Ive indulged with this recipe over my salmon even! It definitely has a versatile palette. When it comes to traditional gravy, most are made with corn starch to thicken the sauce. In Keto, we have Xanthan Gum. 1 full tablespoon comes to 7g carbohydrates. Thankfully, we would only need 1/2 tsp of 1g carbohydrate for this recipe. Lets talk broth. The question most people ask is if chicken stock and bone broth are the same. They are not. In this recipe, I decided to use chicken bone broth because it is higher in protein. Most importantly, it has more health benefits than chicken stock. Bone broth has collagen and gelatin which are great for your gut health, bones, and skin. One of my favorite items to consume on Keto. Of course, for the sake of Thanksgiving, you can definitely replace the chicken for turkey bone broth. In addition, I decided to use Coconut Cream instead of heavy whipping cream, since I prefer not to consume most dairy. If you’d prefer for taste and texture, you may switch to heavy cream and just edit your macros. Let’s get started!
Keto Mashed Cauliflower and Gravy
great alternative to mashed potatoes
- Bone Broth 2 Cups
- Purified Ghee 4 Tbsp
- Coconut Cream 1/2 Cup
- Salt and seasoning
- Xanthan Gum 1/2 Tsp
Personal Preference for Ingredients and Macros provided
- Pacific Chicken Bone Broth
- Trader Joe’s Coconut Cream
- Organic Valley Purified Ghee
- Pink Himalayan Salt
- Trader Joe’s South African Smoke seasoning blend
- Garlic powder
DirectionsInstructions for Cauliflower:
- Fill up sauce pan with water and set to boil.
- Weigh desired amount for cauliflower and place in sauce can until tender. I would say no more than 15 minutes. If Cauliflower boils too much, the texture will not hold together for the mashed potato feel.
- In a blender add Cauliflower, 1 tsp of ghee, salt and seasoning. I love blending it with fresh rosemary.
- Do 3 quick pulses and set aside on a dish.
Instructions for Gravy:
- In Sauce pan, combine Broth, Cream, and Butter.
- Once simmering, add Xanthan Gum and seasoning.
- Let simmer until desired texture. Remove and place in dish.
Macros with my ingredients:
One response to “Keto Mashed Cauliflower and Gravy”